Braddock Bay Raptor Research announces the availability of internships for the spring 2023 season. Information about these internships is listed below. A PDF version of the information can be downloaded here: BBRR 2023 Internships
Raptor Banding –
- Assist with raptor banding operations, including lure bird care, station set up and maintenance, data collection, photo documentation
- Assist with trapping and banding raptors under the supervision of a licensed bird bander
- Assist with raptor banding data entry
- Assist with the raptor migration count by spotting and identifying raptors in flight
- Assist with data entry, both live on-site and at day’s end into the HawkCount database
- Learn proper raptor identification and count techniques
- Interpretation and education on site for public visitors and organized groups
- Lead or assist with programs on site including owl prowls, banding station tours, and organized field trips
- Possibility of outreach programming in the community and working with education raptors for this purpose
- Assist with Bird of Prey Days programming
- mid-March through mid-May; start and end dates flexible.
- Part-time – Minimum of 15-20 hours/week (for local, current students). Flexible scheduling.
- Full-time – Minimum of 30 hours/week (stipend and housing offered). Flexible scheduling but must be available some weekday and weekend hours.
- For full-time intern only – $200/week. Housing provided if not already living locally.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Proper outerwear and footwear for cold weather is essential.
- Good communication skills and readiness to work with others.
- Must have own transportation.
- Optics in the form of binoculars (at least 8x) will be needed. Spotting scope is helpful as well, but not required. BBRR may be able to provide if needed
- Bird and raptor identification knowledge a plus. More training will be provided.
Interested candidates send letter of interest, resume and references to Daena Ford at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2023.